This episode is about listening – deep listening®. My guest today is Sharon Stewart – creator of sound works, musician, poet, researcher, piano teacher and deep listener.
We learn about the Center for Deep Listening® at Rensselaer and the retreats that were held by composer Pauline Oliveros and the many ways to listen, for example like listening in dreams, embodied listening and that deep listening is about doing, writing, practising and experiencing.
We talk about ‘text scores’, guiding principles, and using this in a non-musical context. We also chat about the listening presence of leadership and that we all might benefit when this would shift from just ‘listening to’ to ‘listening with’.
And Sharon shares with us her contribution to the ‘Listening guide for quarantine’ that was published at the beginning of the pandemic and an exercise of harmonious human interaction with sounding and listening that we also could do in a workshop situation.
Listen to the whole episode
- Connect with Sharon:
- Download Homing inside out: A listening guide for home quarantine (2020 Soundtrack City, The Mystifiers, STEIM) https://soundtrackcity.net/homing-inside-out/
- Upcoming Deep Listening® Retreats https://www.ministryofmaat.org/deep-listening-retreat.html
- The Center for Deep Listening® at RPI https://www.deeplistening.rpi.edu/
- Sonic works by Sharon Stewart https://soundcloud.com/sharonrstewart
- Podcast miniseries on Deep Listening® https://studiumgenerale.artez.nl/nl/studies/all/podcast/2+deep+listening+pauline+oliveros+and+the+sonosphere/
- Journal of Sonic Studies Article on Deep Listening® https://www.researchcatalogue.net/view/261881/261882
- Sharon can be reached at email@example.com
The Power of Music Thinking is brought to you by CREATIVE COMPANION
More Episodes of The Power of Music Thinking
- About the Power of Music Thinking Podcast
- A mindset for entrepreneurship, leadership and design with Michael Hendrix from IDEO and Panos Panay from Berklee College of Music
- Music as a Catalyst for Change with Nifemi Aluko, Founder and CEO of kpakpakpa and author of the book Press Play
- Blockchain Philosophy and Collaborative Transformation for Change with Roy Scheerder from Faebric
- Blend sound science with sound art to make sound decisions with Steven Keller
- Innovation patterns and improvisation in organisations with Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Stark, teacher and researcher specialised in organisational and community psychology
- Music and the Brain with Artur Jaschke, neuromusicologist and professor for music-based therapies and interventions
- Cross-pollination in leadership with Ilkka Mäkitalo, musician, teacher, CEO, Co-Founder of Howspace and Conductor of Jyvaskyla Big Band